Saturday, March 17, 2012

Run Toria Run...

So do you remember that Bitch I was tell you about... That voice of self doubt disguised as practicality? Well I am in constant debates with this Bitch.... Let's give her a name.  Let's call her Anita as in Ah Nee Ta (i need her) to shut the fuck up. Well Anita always likes to remind me why I am too busy to workout.

Anita: "I mean you work all the time and don't get to spend enough time with Julian as it is."

Me: "Well I could always just wake up early before he gets up."

Anita: "Girl, you know you are not a morning person... You ain't going to get up early to workout or join some boot camp. Let's keep it real. You need to find something that is realistic for you."

Me: "Ok... Then let's get a personal trainer."

Anita: "You tried that several times before and it never worked long term. You need something more flexible and doesn't require a gym membership. That's just a waste of money."

Me: "Fine then... I'm going to start running. It's perfect! I can do it on my own schedule, it's free and I can do it at my own pace."

Anita: "Bitch Please! (I told you she gets more ghetto the more I debate her) Yo ass don't run! That's what athletes do and you ain't no athlete. You're the one that always have said that you only like to run if something is chasing you... Remember?"

Me: "Yeah I know... But have always admired people who ran. I love the idea that running was completely self motivated and initiated. You didn't need a gym or any equipment or a set time to do it. People would describe this feeling of how it helped clear their minds and give them renewed energy. I want to try it."

Anita: "I mean let's be realistic..."

Me: "Shut the fuck up... I'm going to give it a try"

So... I have started running. I have kept my efforts modest... About 2-2.5 miles around 3 times a week. My focus is about getting it imbedded as part of my lifestyle. Phase One is just doing it. I want to move from doing it 3 times a week to 5 times a week. Then phase Two is about extending my distance. Anita like to drop her nose in it an tell me that I should be doing more and that 2 miles isn't enough or I should be doing it with better time (I'm averaging about a 14-15 minute mile). But I am ignoring her and keeping at it. What really helps is that I have the best playlist ever that makes the 30 minutes or so go by pretty fast.

1. Imma Be (Black Eyed Peas)
2. Pump it (Black Eyed Peas)
3. Just Fine (Mary J. Blige)
4. Sexy and I Know It (LMAFO)
5. Look At Me Now (Chris Brown)
6. Lose Control (Missy Elliot)
7. SexyBack (Justin Timberlake)
8. Work It Out (Luke)
9. Diva (Beyonce)
10. Golden (Jill Scott)

But what I love the most is that I am challenging myself and my body in new ways. Will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Maj said...

Good running list. Add 'who runs the world - girls' by Beyonce.

Toria said...

That's a good one! I will..TCF

Post a Comment

About This Blog

It is my personal list of 35 things that I want to do while I am 35 to bring back fabulousness in my life. It's about loving the life I live and living a life I love. It's about living in the moment. This is a private blog created to track my progress and keep me accountable among my inner circle...


Photoblog Template by Delicious Design Studio