Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Introducing the List...

August 23 marked my 35th birthday and  like for many women, 35 is a bit of a milestone.  While it is not as significant as 40, it is a time to take audit and inventory of key life goals and accomplishments.  A time to reflect on what you have done and what you have yet to do while you still have youth on your side.  Because by 35 you are not necessarily too old, but you ain't young either.  You're just grown.  A grown ass woman.

Well, for me, 35 is a declaration of my Grown Ass Womanhood.  I want to embrace, celebrate and live it.  I have spent my life up until this point with my nose to the grind checking off the critical life "to do's"...

Education... Check
Marriage... Check
House... Check
Kid... Check
Career...Check

While admirable for those on the other side looking my "green grass", I realize that a bit of flair and finesse has slipped through my focused fingers.  I have traded-in "opportunities" for "obligations" and "freedom" for "fears".  It is time to change that...

If you don't already know, I LOVE fabulousness.... my definition of fabulousness is an undefinable "it" factor that makes you walk with a certain confidence like you know a secret that no one else knows... it is a gravitas, a mojo, a swag, a umph!  I miss fabulousness and I want more of it back in my life. 

So... Introducing my 35 and Fabulous List.  This is not a "to do" list or a "before I turn 35 or 40 list".  It is my personal list of 35 things that I want to do while I am 35 to bring back fabulousness in my life.  This list was created more for me and does not necessarily need your approval or editing.  However, I want to share it as a means of keeping me accountable.  . 

I am intentionally not creating a list of things I woulda shoulda need to do's or more life goals to accomplish.  It's about loving the life I live and living a life I love.  It's about living in the moment.  So without further ado...

My 35 and Fabulous List  
35 things to do in the next 350 days (i.e. a year)

1.  Start a Blog - Completed 9/18... Yea! 

2.  Keep up with the blog - I love the idea of having this forum to track my progress. Wish me luck!

3.  Love my body - While yes, I would like to lose weight, what is more important to me that I love my body.  Writing something like lose X lbs would only feel like another obligation and something else on my long list of things I "need" to be doing.  I want to just do whatever that will allow me to have energy, feel sexy and comfortable.

4.  Love my hair - I want to do something with it just don't know what

5.  Love my clothes - And how I look in it

6.  Love my house - And every room in it.  Again don't want to burden myself with a list of household chores, but I just want to be enjoy a peaceful, relaxed home that is a complete reflection of my personality and taste.

7.  Join a flash mob - Be on the look out

8.  Take tennis lessons and play in a match - I have never ever played in a competitive sport

9.  Buy a pair of really fabulous designer shoes

10.  Have a really fabulous place to wear those shoes

11.  Take Spanish lessons

12.  Go somewhere and speak Spanish all day

13.  Pick peaches with Julian and use it to make a homemade Peach Cobbler with him

14.  Go Sky Diving

15.  Jump in the deep end of the pool - Ok.  I am pretty decent swimmer not great but decent.  I have NEVER swam in the deep end of the pool (i.e. 12 ft or more) much less jumped or dived in it. 

16.  Fall asleep in a hammock

17.  Have an adventure with my husband

18.  Give back to the organizations that have given to me - I donate very arbitrarily.  I want to pick targeted organizations that have contributed the most to me and give to them only.  Like Stephen Covey said... it's easy to say no when you have a bigger yes.

19.  Go skinny dipping

20.  Join the mile high club

21.  Cuss somebody out - don't judge me.  I am always the polite one or reasonable one and some people just need it.  It seems very freeing.  I haven't cussed somebody out since I was 12 year old (again don't judge me... she was talking about my mama)

22.  Go to a really fabulous destination spa

23.  Play hooky from work with my husband - it has to be completely spontaneously, not pre-planned

24.  Go on a mommy/son day trip - I have always wanted to pack up a bag and just leave the house with no particular place to go and just explore the city with my son.

25.  Change the life of a stranger - for the better of course

26.  Read a really good book from cover to cover - I never have time to read for fun... and if I do I don't get a chance to finish it

27.  Create my signature look - Every grown ass woman should have one

28.  Buy art - from the artist... not from Target

29.  Unclutter my life and mind to free it up and make room for clarity, simplicity and new possibilities

30.  Learn how to cook Caribbean food - I love it too much not know how to make it.

31. Do something that scares me - Maybe the sky diving will do the trick, but may I should add zip lining or para-sailing, going on a roller coaster ride. Who knows...

32.  Get drunk - Ya'll KNOW this is a doozy for me.  Never experienced it... just curious

33.  Go "glamping" - It's glamorous camping.  I like the "idea" of camping but it looks a little too dirty and uncomfortable for me.  I think I can do the glamping thing (google it)
34.  Take care of some unfinished business - this is personal but I know what it is

35.  Give someone a make over - What fun is it being fabulous if you can't help make someone else fabulous too.

1 comments:

Andrea Wallace said...

Accountability partners are trying to help you with some of these ;)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

It is my personal list of 35 things that I want to do while I am 35 to bring back fabulousness in my life. It's about loving the life I live and living a life I love. It's about living in the moment. This is a private blog created to track my progress and keep me accountable among my inner circle...


Photoblog Template by Delicious Design Studio